Greater Philadelphia Sleep Doctor
- Looking for a board certified sleep doctor in greater Philadelphia area that accepts your insurance?
- Are you looking for a sleep physician in greater Philadelphia area that offers same week appointments with no long wait times or long waiting lists for appointments?
- Need an experienced sleep doctor for addressing your sleep problems in a timely and professional manner?
- Are you feeling tired or sleepy all the time or have snoring issues that you want to get tested with a sleep study?
- Do you prefer to the sleep study at home instead of the sleep lab for sleep apnea?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, contact W8MD’s sleep, weight loss and medspa centers today at Poly-Tech Sleep Services. We have two locations in greater Philadelphia in North East Philadelphia and King of Prussia, with a few others in New Jersey (Cherry Hill) and New York City (Brooklyn and Manhattan)
Symptoms of sleep disorders
- difficulty falling or staying asleep.
- daytime fatigue.
- not feeling refreshed in AM.
- strong urge to take naps during the day.
- irritability or anxiety.
- lack of concentration.
Sleep studies in Philadlephia
Sleep studies typically measure Electroencephalogram also call (EEG), Electrocardiogram, Nasal and oral pressure, Electro-occulogram (EOG), Leg Movements, Pulse Oximetry (blood oxygen content), Electromyogram (EMG), Body position and Snoring.
This is the most common in lab sleep study performed
How is in lab sleep study performed?
Many small sensors are utilized to gauge the body’s physiological processes during sleep. These studies are performed in a sleep lab where sleep techs place these electrodes and record the data on to a computer which will be analyzed after the sleep study is completed.
Home sleep studies
Home sleep studies use a kit which has a few small sensors like pulse oximeter on the finger, a belt on the chest, and a sensor on the nose to measure air flow and microphone that records snoring. These are more convenient and preferred by some insurances for cost saving compared to in lab sleep studies.
We offer both in lab and home sleep studies depending on your insurance coverage and your preference.
Other sleep studies we perform include the following
CPAP Titration studies
In patients whom CPAP treatment is recommended, a CPAP-titration study is used to determine the optimal CPAP pressure.
Purpose of the CPAP titration study
The CPAP titration not only helps determine the best pressure on the CPAP for stopping the apneas but also snoring and other obstructive respiratory events optimally.
Alternatives to CPAP titration study include Auto titrating devices which can be used as an alternative for certain types of sleep apnea such as obstructive sleep apnea.
BPAP (VPAP) and APAP Titration studies
Otherwise similar to CPAP-titration studies involve the use of bi-level positive airway pressure, called BiPAP or VPAP.
Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT)
An MSLT is a specialised daytime sleep-study called a nap test used to evaluate patients suspected of having narcolepsy or other excessive daytime sleepiness issues.
Maintenance of Wakefulness Test (MWT)
This test is used to assess a patient’s ability to maintain wakefulness throughout the day. It involves four, 40-minute test periods at 2-hourly intervals, and the are asked to stay awake throughout each test period.
- Getting Enough Sleep Helps You Feel Refreshed.
- Proper Amount of Sleep May Help Prevent Cancer.
- Good Nights Sleep Reduces Stress.
- Getting Optimal Sleep Reduces Inflammation.
- At Least 7 Hours of Sleep Makes You More Alert.
- Better Sleep Improves Your Memory.
- Getting Recommended Amount of Sleep May Help You Lose Weight.
- Getting Short Naps Makes You Smarter.
- Sleep May Reduce Your Risk of Depression.
Frequently asked questions
Toggle content goes here, click edit button to change this text.
What should you not do before a sleep study?
Do not drink caffeinated beverages, or alcohol
Can you take a sleep aid before a sleep study?
Only if recommended by the doctor
How many hours of sleep do you need for a sleep study?
6 hours or more is ideal although the minimum recording needed for a valid study is 3 hours
What is a sleep study consultation?
A consultation with a sleep doctor that goes over your sleep history and helps diagnose or manage any sleep problem.
Can you bring your phone to a sleep study?
Yes, but not use it unless needed and for emergencies.
Do you have to sleep on your back for a sleep study?
It depends but you are not always required to sleep on your back for a sleep study.
Can you watch TV during a sleep study?
Only prior to falling asleep for a brief period
What can a sleep study do for insomnia?
It can rule out other problems related to sleep that can cause or make insomnia worse such as sleep apnea as up to 50% of sleep apnea patients present with insomnia.
Do you have to shave for a sleep study?
It is better if you do although you do not need to.
What can a sleep specialist do for you?
They can help diagnose, manage or treat any sleep disorder or wakefulness related issue
How many apneas per hour are normal?
In adults, up to 5 apneas and hypopneas per hour are considered acceptable
What do sleep disorder clinics do?
They diagnose and manage all different kinds of sleep problems such as sleep apnea, insomnia, etc.
- What happens during a sleep test?
- What can I take for sleep?
- How long does a sleep test last?
- Why can I not sleep?
- Why is sleep so important?
- What is sleep Apnoea?
- Do neurologists treat sleep disorders?
- What doctor to see if you can’t sleep?
- What do you call a sleep doctor?
- What are the 5 major sleep disorders?
- What is the best medication for severe insomnia?
- When should I see a sleep doctor?
Why use us for your sleep medicine needs in greater Philadelphia?
- We are focussed on just sleep disorders and weight management
- We offer same week appointments unlike many others that have long waiting lists
- We provide both in lab as well home sleep studies
- Our sleep doctor, and medical director, Prab R Tumpati, MD is board certified in sleep medicine
- Our sleep specialist(s) have over 10 years of experience
- We do no unnecessary pulmonary function studies unlike many
- We accept over 17 different insurances for both sleep medicine obesity medicine needs
- We have many convenient locations in greater Philadelphia – North East Philadelphia, King of Prussia, Cherry Hill New Jersey. Also in New York City in Brooklyn and Manhattan.
- We address underlying risk factors such as obesity to help cure many sleep disorders such as sleep apnea