List of the common sleep problems
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: This us due to upper irway obstruction while sleeping, which limits deep sleep; snoring usually accompanies it.
- Insomnia: This can be difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep and can be acute or chronic.
- Hypersomnia: This literally means a person is very sleepy despite getting enough sleep opportunity and it can be a sign of an underlying sleep problem such as sleep apnea, narcolepsy or idiopathic hypersomnia.
- Noctural Enuresis or Children Bed Wetting: usually seen in children
- Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (DSPS): usually affects teenagers but can affect anybody.
- Advanced Sleep Phase Syndrome (ASPS): A circadian rhythms disorder where person goes to sleep early and rises early
- Non-24-Hour Sleep-Wake Syndrome: is a circadian rhythm disorder where the body does not function with the 24 hour biological clock
- Narcolepsy: Caused by a deficiency of wakefulness promoting chemicals in the brain for unknown reasons, Narcolepsy is a condition where a person has excessive daytime sleepiness, sleep paralysis, hypnogogic and hypnopompic hallucinations, sometimes cataplexy(see below).
- Nocturia: A reccuring need to go to the bathroom and urinate at night
- Cataplexy: Abrupt weakness with one’s motor muscles
- Shift Work Sleep Disorder: a person does shift work and feels sleepy or tired during their wakeful time, and has difficulty falling asleep at times.
- Night Terror: Not nightmares but rather a sudden awakening with gasping, moaning, or crying out that tends to happen in children but adults can also have it.
- Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS): Associated with Periodic Limb Movement with an irressistable need to move the legs
- Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD) / Nocturnal Mycolonus: The involuntary movement of legs and/or arms while sleeping
- Rapid Eye Movement Behavior Disorder (RBD): Movements in REM sleep from twitches to acting out dreams
Sleep disorders center Philadelphia
Did you know that sleep disorders such as sleep apnea can make you gain weight and weight gain in turn can put you at increased risk of sleep problems such as sleep apnea?
Realizing the bidirectional relationship between sleep disorders and weight gain, most W8MD medical weight loss centers of America’s weight loss centers also offer a comprehensive sleep medicine program to help deal with both sleep disorders and metabolic disorders including obesity.
List of our sleep medicine services
Sleep Disorders Treated at W8MD medical weight loss and sleep centers
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Central Sleep Apnea
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Circadian Rhythm Disorders
- Sleep Walking
- REM Sleep Behavior Disorder
- Periodic Limb Movements of Sleep
- Pediatric Sleep Disorders
Partial list of sleep disorders that we can address
Other less common sleep problems include:
- Sleep Paralysis: A temporal paralysis of the body right before or after sleep. Often associated with auditory, visual, or tactile hallucinations and it can be sign of narcolypsey.
- Sleep walking, sleep talking, sudden infant death syndrome, night eating disorder etc.
Which W8MD centers offer comprehensive weight loss and sleep medicine services?
Locations for getting tested for sleep apnea
While there are many sleep centers that can diagnose and treat sleep apnea, W8MD medical weight loss and sleep centers are a bit different in that we not only diagnose and treat sleep disorder, but also help reverse some of the risk factors such as weight gain through our unique insurance physician weight loss and sleep wellness program.
Side effects of Saxenda
Assessments & Treatments of sleep disorders
- Polysomnography with Full EEG
- Home Sleep Testing
- Multiple Sleep Latency Testing
- Maintenance of Wakefulness Testing
- CPAP and BPAP
- Adaptive Servo-Ventilation
- Average Volume Assured Pressure Support
- Bright Light Therapy
- Durable Medical Equipment (CPAP, Auto-PAP, BPAP)
Philadelphia Insurance Weight Loss & Sleep Center: 1718, Welsh Rd, Philadelphia, PA, 19115 Ph: 1-215-676-2334
King Of Prussia Weight Loss & Sleep Center: Poly-Tech Sleep & W8MD Weight Loss 175 Strafford Avenue Lower Level, Ste 1, Wayne PA 19087. Ph: 215-676-2334
W8MD medical weight loss program at Vida Sleep Center in Cherry Hill, NJ
140 E Evesham Road Cherry Hill NJ 08003 Phone 800 W8MD 007
Our sleep doctors
Our founder, Dr. Prab R. Tumpati, has been a practicing board certified internal medicine, sleep and obesity medicine physician. As a practicing sleep medicine physician, Dr. Tumpati sees a lot of obese patients that are struggling to lose weight.